Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tandoori Spiced Chicken Breast


About a month ago my dear friend Mo (who loves to cook just as much as I do), recommended a recipe he made for Thai Red Curry Mac 'n' Cheese. I immediately wanted to try it out (who doesn't like mac 'n cheese?), and seeing that the recipe came from Aarti Sequeria, I decided to pair it with an Indian-inspired main course. The result? This really great recipe for Tandoori Spiced Chicken Breast. The flavors in this rub totally knocked my socks off! The warmth of the cayenne pepper combined with the smokiness of the cumin gave a flavor profile that I wasn't expecting and I was pleasantly surprised.

Following some of the reviews I read, I mixed all of the spices together in a storage container and then only used half of it in a separate bowl to make the rub. There was more than enough available, and I rubbed both sides of the breast rather than just one so I could get a nice flavorful crust all around. Because we hadn't bought a grill yet, I used my trusty grill pan on the stove. While the results were just as good, my house definitely got more smokey than I'd like, so I'll be moving outdoors next time. There was too much heat in this dish for my son to join in (I just made a separate non-flavored breast for him), but it was perfect for my husband and I. Surprisingly, leftovers the next day weren't as piquant, but were just as good. Next time I'll follow the full recipe for the pita sandwich so we can enjoy the accompaniments that sound just as fabulous.


Tandoori Spiced Chicken Breast

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 3 (8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil


  • Heat grill to medium-high. Combine all spices and the oil in a medium bowl to make a paste. Rub a thin layer of the spice paste onto 1 side of each chicken breast. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and just cooked through.

    Adapted from Bobby Flay

    No comments:

    Post a Comment