Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Broiled Halibut with Ricotta-Pea Puree


I came across this recipe when I had some leftover ricotta and didn't feel like making anything Italian. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our house and I've been trying to get my husband to eat more fish over the years. With recipes like this, I think I'll succeed in my quest!

The original recipe called for halibut but my fishmonger didn't have any on hand. Instead, he recommended cod, which has the same density as halibut and has a sweet, delicate flavor without being over-fishy. When it comes to seasoning, I rarely use measuring spoons as some recipes just don't add enough flavor. With this particular recipe, I flavored with enough Paprika to cover both sides of the fish evenly, and I think it really helped in bringing out the fish's natural flavor. Preparation and cleanup were easy by lining my baking sheet with foil and by using my immersion blender instead of a food processor. With such a light fish, I added a nice glass of chardonnay, and I had a winning meal!


Broiled Halibut with Ricotta-Pea Puree

Ingredients

  • 3 small carrots, quartered lengthwise
  • 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 6-ounce center-cut skinless halibut fillets (1 3/4 inches thick)
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
  • 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter



  • Preheat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil and preheat 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, brush the carrots and onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the fish with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the paprika; brush to coat the fish evenly with paprika.
    Carefully remove the pan from the oven, place the fish in the center and scatter the onion and carrots around. Broil until the fish is golden and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, microwave the peas in a bowl with 1/4 cup water until just tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the peas and liquid to a food processor and pulse with the ricotta, butter and a pinch of salt to make a slightly chunky puree. Divide the puree among plates and top with the fish, carrots, onion and pan juices.

    Adapted from Food Network Magazine

    No comments:

    Post a Comment