Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwich


Anyone who knows me well knows I'm not a huge fan of cold cut sandwiches. Whenever I go to a sandwich shop I usually opt for some type of salad - egg, tuna, or my favorite, chicken. Unfortunately chicken salad is usually made with an abundance of mayonnaise, which overpowers the delicate flavor of the chicken. The same usually goes for recipes I've found so I tend to stay away from making it at home.

We planned to have some friends stop by a few weeks ago and as I was searching for something light to serve for a luncheon, I came across this recipe. It's a less fattening version of the classic favorite with a twist - it includes rosemary and smoked almonds. The combination of light mayo and yogurt gave the salad the creaminess you'd expect but kept it from overshadowing the other flavors involved. I used a purchased rotisserie chicken instead of roasting my own, and decreased the green onions by half as they can tend to be a little strong when the rest of the ingredients in a recipe are rather simple. The result was a satisfyingly zesty chicken salad sandwich with an underlying smoky flavor. My son wanted to eat it straight out of the bowl!


Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwich

Ingredients
  • 3 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound)
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped smoked almonds
  • 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 10 slices whole-grain bread

Combine first 9 ingredients, stirring well. Spread about 2/3 cup of chicken mixture over each of 5 bread slices, and top with remaining bread slices. Cut sandwiches diagonally in half.

Adapted from Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment